Residence Cancellation Process/Formalities
posted by email

I am moving to Dubai on job in the first week of January 2013. I need to cancel my residency and go. Today, I went to my Admin Department and they informed me the following:
- I need to bring a letter from the Airline (Jet Airways, Kuwait Airways or Indian Airlines only). They don't accept any other airline. The letter should say I am leaving Kuwait for good.
- I need to get copy of airline ticket (silly!)

He said, he will cancel my residence and give me 3 months grace period in Kuwait. This will automatically apply on my family (wife + 1 kid) too. He said I don't need to cancel my family residence.

I have two questions:
1. Why do they require a ticket? My Dubai company will be sponsoring my ticket and they can send the ticket only a few days before my date of flying.
2. Can I then skip cancelling my family residence?
Thanks in advance. Appreciate your comments. d-on-my-girlfriend-but-i-love-her.aspx">go why do m

Post your Comment[16]
Like[0]   DisLike[0]

Posted by : Hawkeye
On 12/5/2012 3:00:57 PM

Since you have been offered a job in Dubai, why you cannot submit your resignation here and serve the notice period. Alternatively, since you have a new job offer, why there is a need to cancel your residency. Send your family home, collect the visa and ticket from the new company and fly to Dubai. How long have you been with the current company in Kuwait, are you looking for any indemnity from the current employer. If not, collect the passport and fly - as simple as that. Enlighten me if i am wrong. ndroid ted on me why do m
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : hi
On 12/5/2012 3:01:33 PM

my question

How can the airline give you letter mentioning that you will be leaving Kuwait... Airline can give you ticket, they won't give you letter as you mentioned above rash.aspx" rel="nofollow"> how do you get hiv and aids
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Sameer Chougle
On 12/5/2012 3:14:09 PM

@ hawkeye - I have already submitted my resignation and will complete my notice period on 27 dec. I came to know that I need to cancel my residence in Kuwait if I need to stamp Dubai residence. Another issue is my company will not pay me my end of service money (salary + leave balance) till I cancel my residence.

@ hi - Even I thought the same. But I came to know that there's a letter called Govt Project (GP) letter which the airline provides for submitting to shoun to cancel residence.

I need more information. n-your-wife-website.aspx"> your wife cheated on you rg/template/page/my-ex-cheated-on-me.aspx">my husband cheated now what cheated on my husband ell him
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Hawkeye
On 12/5/2012 3:32:36 PM

@Sam - I am working in a reputed company in Kuwait. We do not have such a system here and first time i am hearing that the employee needs to submit such a letter. Cancelling the residency is the job of the company. I do not understand why you are saying "if i cancel my residency only then i will get my dues". I am sorry i am unnecessarily (may be) getting lot of questions here :) what if you do not get a letter from the Airlines??? I have now checked with one of my colleagues here, we two have the same knowledge about the residency issues - no need to cancel the residency of kwt to get the residency in Dubai, this is a misunderstanding, you may please check and reconfirm this.
Gud luck. div>
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Eliza
On 12/5/2012 3:54:47 PM


Airline gives a letter called a GP (Government Project)letter along with a ticket;this ticket is Non Refundable and the letter is very valuable.

Ur Mandoop should have a knoweldge on this; you can either Consult a Travel AGency or Jet Air directly and when u visit take your shun paper which shows the Company Name as same as your residence.

Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Hawkeye
On 12/5/2012 4:23:24 PM

@Eliza - If you are aware, please throw some lights on the residency issues. is it mandatory to cancel the kuwait residency to have a residency in dubai? I can understand that Sam has to cancel because he needs his settlement. px">unfaithful husbands how to cheat with a married how do you get hiv and aids
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : MS
On 12/5/2012 5:04:37 PM

* I'm not sure about dubai, but in kuwait , eventhough you have other countries residence, you can get Kuwait visa.
* normal visa cancelations doesn't require any letter from Air Line. Recently my colleague cacelled his visa.If it is goverment projects, it might be required.Even for getting final benifit, you may need to cancel your visa.

arried-men-affairs.aspx">click my husband almost cheated on me
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Sam C
On 12/5/2012 6:11:13 PM

All of you guys have been awesome for the responses I received! Eliza is right, this is a GP letter obtained from the Airline, and is applicable only for people on Project Visa. Since my company is a construction contracting company, most of the engineers are on project visa, so that's where all the formalities come in.

I have got in touch with one of my travel consultant friends and she is arranging it for me.

Regarding not cancelling residency in Kuwait and obtaining residency in Dubai is a very tricky situation and I don't want to risk being sent back from Dubai to cancel my residency here, so I am doing the needful.

Thank you all for the support and I am very satisfied with the comments here. v> ndroid iend cheated on me husband should i tell him
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : SAUDI
On 12/5/2012 6:58:39 PM

Is the same rule apply to Saudi Also ?

Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Nissan
On 12/5/2012 10:50:46 PM

If u have valid residency from any of the GCC country and ur moving from one GCC country to other then u should cancel the previous GCC country's residency and its is mandatory also...if ur not cancelling then u can't get a new ikkama in ur new country...Now all the GCC country's residence systems are interconnected....
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : SamC
On 12/6/2012 9:16:16 AM

Now I have another related query. My company informed me that they will only cancel my work permit and give me 3 months grace period. That means my residency is still on and so is my family's. Is this cause for concern when moving to Dubai to stamp residency there? ted on me why do m
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Nissam
On 12/6/2012 10:35:33 AM

See Mr. Sam ur company will cancell ur visa and they will give u 33 months grace period (this grace period depending on comapany demand in ministry , its 1 month minimum and 3 months maximum). In ur case till ur in Kuwait with grace period ur dependents visa also active...but when u out from kuwait ur visa cancelled , ur grace period cancelled ur dependents visa cancelled and u don't have any valid residency in kuwait. grace period only to stay in kuwait to settle ur things with company and other things.....when u out kuwait ur not a resident of kuwait any more...u can go to any GCC countries even to kuwait also in new visa....cheers /div> what arried-men-affairs.aspx">click my husband almost cheated on me
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : an expat
On 12/6/2012 1:47:59 PM

@Nissan- Your reply is totally incorrect. There are many people who have residences in Kuwait and some other countries in the GCC. They generally have it for their business/ work related needs. /div>
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : Sam
On 12/6/2012 5:41:49 PM

But also, I am not taking my family now. I will go first and probably after 20-30 days, I will be able to send visa and tickets to my family in Kuwait to come to Dubai.

Are you saying that once I leave Kuwait, my residence will be cancelled (which is obvious), also my family's would be automatically cancelled? Then from that day (of my leaving Kuwait), there would be a 2KD fine per dependent till they leave the country!!

Can I cancel my family's residence 4-5 days before leaving Kuwait and ask for a one month extension from the govt? usband- what husband should i tell him
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : GV
On 12/8/2012 6:14:39 PM

if you are on Project Visa, you have to take a GP Letter & Ticket from national carriers (Jet, Kuwait Airways or Air India.Along with GP your finger prints will be taken and the papers will be submitted in shound with your sponsors sign , After 4 days, shoun will issue the shoun cancellation paper. next step is cancelling your residence permit from passport office. For that shoun cancellation paper and civil id and the form with sponsors signature will be submitted. They will cancel your visa and stamp temporary visa (14) for one month.

If you are on permanent visa no need of GP Letter.

Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Posted by : chi
On 7/13/2014 12:26:03 PM

Hi, I purchase a ticket online ( Cebu pacific), How can I get GP leter? i-almost-cheated-on-my-boyfriend.aspx">open cheat on your boyf ou .aspx">site married men and affairs
Agree[0]   Disagree[0]   [Report Abuse]

Previous Topic | Next Topic

All the content posted under the 'IIK Forum' are made by the readers of, unless specified otherwise. is not responsible for the opinions of the readers and the content posted by the readers are not representative of the views and opinions of takes no responsibility for the views expressed in the discussion.
Frequently read topics...
Flat Rent hike Every Year...
Civil ID address changing for Bachelor sharing accomodation...
Procedure for impounded cars...
Driving License Transferring Procedure...
Passport Renewal for 5 years Boy...
Attention Parents- Permission to stay outside Kuwait more than 6 months....
Infant visit to dependent-Farwaniya. (Procedure)...
Information on maiden name change in passport and further douments in kuwait ...
Dependant Visa Stamping Procedures...
Affidavit for Marriage...
Procedure for Dependent Residancy Stamp on Passport:...
Passport Lost...
Renewal of #22 Residency for daughter...
Visa 18 to 22 Procedure...
Requirement for Attestion of Translation of Degree Certificate...
Driving license for Accountant...
Driving licence for Khadim visa holder...
Converting Work visa to dependent - Article 17/18 to 22...
Enquiry regarding Maid, Khadim, Article 20 visa...
How to apply for Driving license, istimara...
Pregnancy file opening and Baby birth certificate...
Dependent visa (Article 22) procedure...
Procedure for taking Visit visa...
Power of Attorney ...
Procedure to follow for a deceased in Kuwait
Procedure for Sending Coffin to India

How to start a topic for discussion?
Its easy! Click here to post your topic.
You need to login, if you are not already logged into IIK. If you are not yet a member, you can register here.
How to read and reply an existing topic?
You can view an existing discussion by clicking on that topic title. When you are in a discussion, you can share you reviews and opinions by clicking on the REPLY button on that page.

Its your portal, its your platform, so get involved.